Are you struggling with severely dry and chapped lips? Your lips are feeling sore, flaky and no lipstick looks good?
Well if your answer is yes, then you came to the right place. Like most girls, I’m also struggling with this problem. Over the years I have tried different products and today I’m going to talk about what you can do to maintain your lips looking smoother, how to avoid flaky lips and what products you can use to soothe the discomfort and heal them faster.
How to prevent extremely dry, chapped lips?
Be aware that your lips don’t have oil glands so they are always exposed to outside environmental elements.
Most common environmental factors that can cause chapped lips are:
- Cold weather
- Sea (salt water)
- Sun exposure
If you don’t take care of your lips on a regular basis you are likely to get chapped or dry, flaky lips.
Number one rule is to apply lip care products as often as you can, in the morning, before any lip products such as lipsticks or lipgloss, during a day and every night before you go to bed.
To prevent chapped lips you must know what is causing it, environmental factors, inside factors, a combination of both or something third.
Some inside factors can affect how your lips feel and look.
- Dehydration – drink enough fluids during the day
- Air humidifier – these devices provide the moisture that is needed in heated room
- Licking your lips – as you lick your lips, the remaining saliva dries and leaves your lip skin even drier
Other factors that can cause chapped lips
- Product allergies
- Salty food
Natural remedies for chapped lips
If your lips are sore then you must ease the pain and prevent further damage.
Do not peel or bite the flaky skin. Picking the delicate and thin skin can cause bleeding, slow the healing process and leave pigmentation marks.
Avoid anything with mint, eucalyptus or other agents that can irritate already sensitive skin.
Homemade lip scrub
You can try homemade lips scrub for flaky skin
- 1 teaspoon of organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa butter
- 1 tablespoon of ground sugar
Mix all ingredients. You can melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a double water boiler. Then leave it cool slightly and mix with sugar.
Use a small amount of the scrub and massage into the skin with circular motions. Rince with lukewarm water and finish it with the cold rinse.
Best natural remedies for healing the lips skin are:
- Honey (put a thin layer of organic honey as a mask and leave it for 5-10 minutes, repeat few times a week). Honey will soothe the irritation and prevent further inflammation.
- Organic coconut oil – massage a thin layer every few hours. Coconut oil if a great at the softening flaky skin, allowing faster healing process.
- Cocoa butter – act as a protective barrier by supplying and retaining moisture.
Top 12 Products to Ease and Soothe Chapped Lips
- Nuxe Revie the Miel – Ultra Nourishing Lip Balm
- La Roche Posay – Cicaplast Levres
- Nuxe – Repairing Lip Balm
- Cococare 100% Cocoa Butter in stick
- Sierra Bees Organic Lip Balms
- RMS Lip and Skin Balm
- Bite Beauty Agave lips Mask
- By Terry – Baume the Rose
- Fresh – Sugar Lip
- Dior – Creme de Rose